Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

Default 3837 new posts... All crap...

On Aug 13, 12:22 pm, "Mister.Lull" wrote:
On Aug 13, 12:16 pm, Matt Ion wrote:

Mister.Lull wrote:
On Aug 13, 11:03 am, Matt Ion wrote:
I. Care wrote:
In article ,
says...
"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
legroups.com...
What the ****?
~Mister.Lull
I got 4,750
It's called a SPORGE there was a message posted earlier warning of this
and suggesting you switch to a different USNET news server which will
filter it.
Of course they will... a pay service, no doubt.

New take on the old protection racket.- Hide quoted text -

heheheee...

"Come to us, 'cause we're going to righteously **** up where you are
now..."

~Mister.Lull

FYI, here's the response I got from SuperNews )
themselves (note their suggestion that you contact your own ISP or
usenet provider regarding filtering on their server):

Hi,
Thank you for your report of the recent "Joe Job" sporgery(*) attack.
We've received numerous complaints about these, but as they are not
originating from our servers or otherwise our doing we can't stop these
posts beyond contacting their relevant news site to try to ensure they
do their utmost to get it stopped. They are simply a continuation of
previous sporgery attacks on these groups with the added payload of text
smearing Supernews.com.
The best thing you can do here is just not post a follow-up in the
newsgroup (these often end up carrying to flood to additional groups due
to the Followup header being set) and DO report the sporgery to the site
it originated from. Just like any other sporge post, please keep in
mind the _forgery_ aspect. We're victims here, and would never
advertise in this way ourselves. It's atrocious, and a complete insult
to us. Not everyone knows us, however, so some folks don't know it is
completely anathema to how we work.
Supernews.com has a long history of being extremely anti-spam. We
stomp spammers, newsgroup disruptors, and other abusers flat, to the
point that they rarely even end up trying to use our services. It would
be beyond foolish for us to publicize this fact by spamming Usenet or
any other medium with it.
I hope that you can see through the poster's ploy and simply treat it
as you would any other sporgery - urge your Usenet provider to do what
they can to filter the abusive posts, and report the abuse to the source
as best as you can identify it from the Path and other headers.

If you have any further questions or concerns about this please feel
free to send them our way and we will make every effort to reply to you
with more information.

Supernews Abuse Desk

* For a definition of the term "sporgery" please seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporgery, and the linked article on
"HipCrime". Particular hallmarks of these posts include the forged From
header (and often other headers) and one or more lines of gibberish text
(in the posts we've seen reported so far this is made to appear as a
.sig as well as appearing in the Organization header), along with a
their presence as part of a flood.- Hide quoted text -

meh.

There aren't any new ones coming through (at least that I've seen), so
I'm not terribly worried about it.

Good Times, eh? :-)

~Mister.Lull- Hide quoted text -

....spoke too soon.