chung

Default SACD

AL wrote:
I have SACD-DVD-DV 8400 Marantz
and AV 9000 pre amp (marantz)

This is what I've been told:

need 5.1 cables from SACD to preamp-cost $300 per set-3 sets-

You don't need $300 per "set" cables or 3 "sets". Just get 6 coax (RCA
phono) cables. The ones you find in Radio Shack are perfectly fine. The
ones that come with the SACD are most likely perfectly fine.

Does this sound right?--it should play multi sacds and dvd audios?
Does this sound ok so far?

You need 6 cables for the 5+1 channels. Not sure if it plays DVD-Audio,
but it should be easy to find out.

What discs -SACD/DVD audio should I get to test--prefer jazz- but just
need something good--

Rest of sysem is Vienna 's and REL Q range sub

any ideas or suggestions?

I have been listening to Arthur Rubinstein's Chopin Ballades and
Scherzi, originally recorded on the RCA Living Stereo label and released
as a hybrid SACD/CD. It was fantastically recorded more than 40 years
ago. It is a great recording, but I do not find the 3 channel SACD
tracks any better than the CD tracks (on the same disc). Highly
recommended. Much, much better than the LP that I have listened to.

You probably should also get a coax or optical cable for the digital
connection between the player and the AV preamp.