Mark Zarella

Default when is capacitors used?

Is it me or is it they way people dechiper a battery and compair a cap to
battery. A battery is a power source, a cap is a storage device. When
dealing woith stored energy and the potential difference created across

the
positive and negative plates of a cap, is quite different than the energy
that is chemically produced than a battery.

I thought that Stored of dissipated energy is more depicted by

represemnting
it as Joules. If you break down how many Joules of power is realesed from

battery at a given point and compair that to the cap you might find that

the
Joules in a cap are quite insignifigant compaired to the battery.

Well, first of all Joules are a unit of energy, not power. When making the
comparison, it's the time component that differentiates power and energy
that comes into play with a capacitor. The point is that the capacitor can
discharge current through a relatively small output impedance compared with
that of the battery/alternator. If the battery/alternator had the output
impedance that a capacitor has, they wouldn't exhibit the voltage drop that
they do.

Just to figure something out can anyone tell me where the storage of the
potential in a cap is?

The energy in a capacitor is stored in the dielectric. Is that what you
wanted to know?