Vortex

Default Otari MTR 90 MKIII or Studer A800 MKIII

Based on sonic quality and reputation, I'd go with the Studer 1st
seeing as it's the MKIII. Studer is still the "Rolls Royce" of recorders.

Although the parts on the Otari might be easier to find and a little
less expensive.

You can see some response curves of the Otari MX-80 and Studer A80 MKII
on Jack Endino's web site from tests he performed:

http://www.endino.com/graphs/index.html

The Studer has a flater response curve, not that it's better than the Otari,
just more faithful to the original recording.

Mario

I am in the market for a 24 track recorder, and I've kind of narrowed
my decision. I'm thinking getting an Otari MTR 90 MKIII or a Studer
A800 MkIII. Both have relatively low hours around 5000. I am just
writing to get some opinions on these 2 decks. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

William