Fabio De Robertis

Default PS caps : electrolytics + polypropylene, interactions?

Hi Peter,

this's the possible configuration in my DAC's PS :

10000uF 50V ELNA Cerafine Electrolytic

IN PARALLEL WITH

4700uF 50V ELNA Cerafine Electrolytic

For what virtue?

Nothing, I just have 2 10000uF and 2 4700uF and I wanted to use them
in the power supply of my DAC. 14700uF should be slightly better than
10000uF, shouldn't they? I don't know of problems to parallel two
electrlytics of the same brand and type, am I wrong?

IN PARALLEL WITH

0.1uF 400V HOVLAND MusiCap Film & Aluminum Foil Polypropylene cap

IN PARALLEL WITH

2.2uF 100V HOVLAND MusiCap Film & Aluminum Foil Polypropylene cap

Something hf (rf) bypassing is relevant yes, to my knowledge 1 uF makes
sense and it ought to be uncritical. My knowledge is incomplete.

Let's say 1 2.2uF + 1 0.1uF average ~1uF ;-)
I'm joking, I simply wanted to know that such a configuration wouldn't
lead to unwanted interactions between electrlytics and polyprops and
between the two polyprops

I thought to place them together, all in parallel just after the
diodes.

- Are unwanted interactions between the two electrlytics and the two
Polyprops possible?

Too complicated, one big and one small, say 1 uF, and perhaps a tiny
ceramic.

Yes I have some 100K ceramics to add to the mix, I forgot them!

- Is the HOVLAND MusiCap right for such PS application?

- Is coupling the 0.1uF MusiCap with the 2.2uF one anyway useful?

That's only "one digit" smaller, 3 or 4 digits smaller makes more sense,
capacitors do have a bandwidth, but it is not *that* narrow.

Thank you for the explanation!

Fabio