Powell

Default Recommend a ~$400 2-channel tube mic-preamp?

"Monte P McGuire" wrote

After reading the product information it doesn’t appear
to be a good candidate for studio use. If used for this
purpose one would need a roll of duck tape to hold it
down in an equipment rack. Weak power supply. It also
only has three LED lights to represent the entire audio
spectrum, that not very useful. The incomplete
specification sheet is particularly troubling, too.

The important thing you missed was how the RNP sounds.
That's because you've never tried to use one in a real session.
Why not comment after you've used one.

I'm not interested in that price point or performance level.

All A/C current is dirty. The only real question is how much and
how audible is it. Running the mic pre-amp and computer, while
recording, through a power conditioner I can see that the
noise floor drops 4-7 dB on the meter while idling. The audio
effect is a blacker/quieter background.

OK, you're an idiot. You're capable of self deception too.

What empirical experiences do you have with power
conditioners that lead you to that conclusion... none?
You just know, right?

It would truly be
“straight wire with gain.” None of the sited manufactures
are working the on bleeding edge of technology.

Have you looked at the Gordon preamp? That design is
completely and radically different than anything I've seen
before and is built with some extremely high quality parts.

Gordon is a new name for me. I found this:
http://www.proaudioreview.com/par/ju...n_micpre.shtml

The Gordon Instrument web site provides this
technical information http://www.gordonaudio.com/specs.htm

Why must you comment on things that you know
nothing about?

Why not, you just did... power line conditioners.

In a
similar technology like phono pre-amps, for example, one
has to invest $2-10 K per channel to reach that level.
There is no market place in the sound recording industry
for that kind of assault.

Honestly, look inside of the Gordon preamp and tell me that
the parts cost for that box isn't at least $1500 a channel. I don't
know how or why that guy can sell the preamp for as little as
he does.

The Gordon Instrument web site provides this
technical information http://www.gordonaudio.com/specs.htm

Would it make you happier if he charged $20K for it instead? What
sort of folks are supposed to pay $10K a channel for a mike preamp?

No, I wouldn't like to pay "$20K", OTOH, one usually
gets what they pay for (no free lunch).

And heck, aren't you the guy who's happy with a $50/channel toy
preamp?

What are you talking about "$50/channel"... it is a typo
for $250? I’m not committed to any particular product.

How can you have it both ways? Any why haven't you spent
real money for a real preamp?

I'm all ears... waiting for enlightment.