agent86

Default Recommend a ~$400 2-channel tube mic-preamp?

Mike Rivers wrote:

One of the problems is that beginners need to make A/B/C comparisons
in order to make decisions. They aren't tuned in to what just sounds
good and they don't yet know that when they hear it. So even if they
mail-order one mic preamp, play with it at home, and don't hear any
problems, they still have some doubts as to whether there might be
another choice in their price range that would be better. My take on
this is that it shouldn't matter - that "good enough for me" is good
enough until your ears get bettter.

Yes, Yes, YES! Sometimes "good enough" really is good enough. That's why
pros at the very top of the field still use & recommend SM57s after all
these years.

But it's hard to accept that. Here we have a case where someone said
that he found that the ART was good enough for his application, and a
whole bunch of people telling him that he could do better. I don't
know what more to say.

I don't think he's getting slammed for saying the ART was good enough for
HIS application. He's getting slammed for trying to pass himself off as an
expert & for touting the ART preamp to the original poster as if it were
truly a piece of pro gear. Being rude to Scott surely didn't win him any
friends either. I must say, Scott has shown a lot of class &
professionalism by simply ignoring him once he had shown himself to be a
moron.