Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default The Problem with Stereo

Scott wrote:
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 2:57:58 PM UTC-7, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

All of this should have been
obvious to you after a certain number of years of listening to
speakers of various radiation patterns. Can you hear differences
among box speakers, dipoles, bipoles, omnis? Good. Those differences
are caused by differences in the image model, or reflection patterns
and strengths, among those speakers. Study that for a while.

After years of listening I would say the opposite has become quite
obvious to me

Scott I can see you are an expert, and have no more learning to do. But just
as a thought experiment, see if you can imagine this one:

Let's go to a good, small community hall and have some musicians in and also
the finest stereo speakers you ever heard. The musicians are placed in the
normal manner, near the front of the room and arranged left to right at a
little distance from the walls. Place the speakers wherever you wish, but I
would suggest at about the 1/4 of the room width point and also about a
couple of feet in front of the band.

The band plays, you listen in the best seat in the house. The acoustics are
pretty darned good, and you hear the direct sound, the early reflected, and
a little of the reverberant. Good vibes, good music, great spacial qualities
in the room. We record this performance in stereo.

Now the band leaves and all go home, and we are going to play back the
recording of them. But wait - being good old standard old school
audiophiles, we have to do a little room treatment here - can't have all of
those reflections coming back twice and muddying up the sound. So let's just
imagine some Sonex or such all over the front and some of the side walls,
the speakers still there where they were in the stereo position.

So now we play all of this sound back again. So now all of the sound that
was recorded of this huge, spacious early reflected and reverberant field
will be coming from just those two points where the speakers are. You will
perceive the left and right most instruments and some of the in between
ones, spread evenly across the region between the speakers.

But will this high direct field from those two points in space sound the
same as the live sound that was recorded? Why or why not?

Gary Eickmeier