Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Doug Sax on wire

Ty Ford wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote
Ty Ford wrote:

Nope. There were three of us in Flite Three in Baltimore. We didn't begin
by looking for cable differences. Our interest was to find a cable that

would
cut the RF problem with the Gefell M71 mic.

What RF problem was that ?

In doing so we found the EQ difference and then went sideways with it to
try a C414 and a U 87. The cables had the same effect on each of the three
mics. A lot of the listening was done on headphones; good ones.

I'm going to say that things that I _thought_ were EQ differences turned
out to be differences in the tone of the noise floor. I am thinking this
effect is why different noise shaping algorithms cause tonal differences
even though they only affect the tone of the noise floor.

IF this is the case, then it's possible that cutting the RF problem is
what caused the perceived EQ difference.

Yep, but we were not having audible RF problems with the C414 or U 87. Still
the same exact EQ differences in cable persisted.

So did you measure these EQ differences ?

Graham