Max Holubitsky

Default Energy C9 speakers

Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Srinath Alapati wrote:
Greetings everyone!

I auditioned the Energy C-9s last week and really liked them. They go
for $1300/pair. I plan to use them for mainly music and occasionally
for movies as two fronts.

Any opinions on these speakers and are there any others in this price
range that I should look into auditioning? I heard the athena audition
AS-F2 are pretty good.

Mirage makes a better speaker - same parent company. FRx-9. Has
an integrated subwoofer in each speaker.

Athenas are also very good. A pair of S2/P2 speakers(2-way top
and a small sub for each) The S3/P2 is even better, but costs a
bit over your budget.

Lastly, for ~$1350 if you haggle a little, you can get a pair of
Tannoy Saturn 8 speakers. These are much better - clean and
realistic midrange and high-end, decent bass. A pair of Saturn 6
towers sounds nearly identical, and are about $1200(figure $1100
real price).

I also auditioned the Energy speakers mentioned above, as well as a fairly
decent variety of other speakers in the same price range, and I was
impressed, but I bought the Tannoy Saturn S6's.

I auditioned the 8's, but the 6's suited my needs better, and fit into my
apartment wonderfully. I could not possibly be happier with the Tannoy
Saturn S6 speakers, they have great frequency response, low distortion,
excellent treble dispersion (no change in sound from standing to sitting,
like my old magnaplanar's, and off axis response dosen't seem to suffer
much!) ... they sound great with all types of music I can throw at them, and
have taught me what stereo imaging is all about. They also have incredible
bass extension for their size. It's amazing how much information I never
knew was on my CDs. Unlike every other speaker system I have lived with, I
cannot really pick out a specific weak point.

There are better looking speakers out there than the Tannoy's, especially at
the price point, however ever since I got them a few months ago, I look
forward to going home and listening to the stereo, and I have something
playing the majority of the time I am at home.

My father's S8s are loud. Huge soundstage good for at least 30+ ft
of projection, plus no compression or distortion until you get
them far far louder than even movies would require. I play it a lot
louder than he does when watching a movie and the 110WPC amplifier
is still only putting out 10WPC to approach deafening levels.

Easily pummel the Energy/Mirage/Athenas in quality, though the
FRX-9 and Athenas have better bass due to the subwoofers.