Bob Cain

Default 5.1 surround headphones - Need advice

Marc Brown wrote:

Eric F wrote in message . ..

They are all "simulated" surround. The models you all list are all
like that

Even the Kinyo KY-100? Here is an article which seems to be saying that
each ear cup has three separate speakers:

http://www.gameclubcentral.com/modul...print&sid=2329

Frankly I think multiple speakers in the same cup is just a
gimmick. There is no way that speakers in that close a
proximity, without HRTF effects, can give any directionality
to the sound.

I did suspect that the Sony models merely simulated the effect, though.
Disappointing to learn it is so.

I doubt you would say that if you heard it done right. Far
more realistic than what could be achieved by spacing tiny,
close up speakers.

But
even if it works, I'd need to figure out a hardware solution for the
Dolby Headphone dsp work, because I can't have that process sapping my
CPU.

You're right about that and I'm pretty sure Lake and Dolby
have a hardware version.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein