Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

Default only one real issue I'm finding with monitor speaker setup versuscar

On 03/14/2018 04:16 PM, geoff wrote:
On 15/03/2018 7:05 AM, JBI wrote:
On 03/14/2018 08:11 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/13/2018 11:03 PM, JBI wrote:
6 - You do not wish to adjust your technique to mastering on a
system that sounds simply as good as it can be, forgetting the car
scenario entirely ?

No, not entirely.Â* These monitors have pretty much solved the issue
of mixing in the house to sound similar to the car.Â* I can roughly
add the same amount of EQ I get in the car at the DAW output and, on
these new monitors, for the first time ever, the sound is close enough.

So what you hear in the house (after EQ and other adjustments) sounds
like what you're accustomed to hearing in the car?Â* And when you take
this mucked-up-to-sound-like-the-car mix out to the car, it still
sounds like you mixed it in the house? That would be odd. That sounds
like maybe you're taking out frequencies that the car environment
emphasizes - then in the car, there's nothing there (or rather less
there) to emphasize so it doesn't change much traveling from the
house to the car.

No, Mike, I should have clarified that I just have one of the EQ's in
the DAW adjusted as a plug-in.Â* I disable it before saving the audio
file, then it sounds good in the car.Â* I just use the plug in
activated while mixing on the monitors to get a feel for what the
audio will sound like in the vehicle, then turn it off before saving.

That makes sense !

Â* I have the car MP3 player EQ already preadjusted.

I assume this music that you are mastering is your own recording ?

No, commercial, but you wouldn't believe what it was if I told you so
will leave it at that. All I'll say is that the topic alone could start
a new thread that lasts a year!

So why not master stuff to sound 'good' anywhere, and leave the in-car
sound to be adjusted in the car, to your liking, as would any music you
may be hearing from other sources (radio, CD, downloads, etc) ?

I think that's pretty much what I'm doing with the monitors in the
house. However, with this particular mix I have been manipulating,
there's no way I can master to a pink noise curve as the top end is just
too noisy.

Or if you are adjusting music from other sources, then why bother at all
- just readjust the EQ in you car listening environment instead ?

Almost all songs, from many albums, I remaster to have as equal a
frequency response as I can get (I just use EQ matching plug ins for
most of the matching). This has always been important in the car
because I can simply apply whatever EQ in the car once and not have to
touch it again. There is ONE exception and concerns the single track
that was responsible for me getting the monitors in the house.

.

I basically just have to be very gentle with the reverb/ stereo
settings.Â* If I can just hear them on the house monitors, the result
is ok in the car but because of the imbalance as you mention, I really
don't hear either reverb or stereo that well.Â* It's ok, much, much
better than it used to be!

Don't know about your car, but road noise masks much subtlety unless I'm
listening way too loud, or parked up.

I listen pretty loud and like a lot of bass. In fact, it surprises
folks how much bass a simple cassette adapter set up has until I reveal
a headphone amp ahead of the MP3 player, with the amp set for high bass.
Makes a big difference.

It's fun to play around with audio files and music, etc, but I would
never want to try doing it for a living because I would never be
satisfied with the results and would end up losing much $.

geoff