Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

Default only one real issue I'm finding with monitor speaker setup versuscar

On 03/12/2018 09:14 PM, geoff wrote:
On 10/03/2018 8:43 AM, JBI wrote:
Been over a week now since using the recommended Presonus E5's and
Behringer 202.Â* While I'm finding it much easier to judge and correct
for proper equalization, anytime I try and manipulate either stereo
width, add reverb or similar, it never sounds very good in the car but
will sound good on these monitors.Â* Recommendations?

I think we need to get this straight again, 'cos I'm a bit confused.

Pick one or mo
1 - You want to master on speakers that are made to sound like things
did when listening in your car ?

Yes, but since I have the speakers, I have found it much easier to
adjust the eq coming over the monitors to come much closer to how the
car sounds.

2 - Destination listening environment is your car ?

Pretty much as that's all I have (besides the recent new monitor
additions in the house).

3 - Destination listening environment is anywhere (everywhere) else ?

Not really, just the house now on the monitors or mostly in the car.

4 -Â* You want to make things sound on hi-fi systems like stuff does in
your car ?
5 - You want to make the mastering results (for 'anywhere' listening
environments) sound like the resultant sound like it did when mastering
in your car ?

Not sure what you mean by 4 & 5.

6 - You do not wish to adjust your technique to mastering on a system
that sounds simply as good as it can be, forgetting the car scenario
entirely ?

No, not entirely. These monitors have pretty much solved the issue of
mixing in the house to sound similar to the car. I can roughly add the
same amount of EQ I get in the car at the DAW output and, on these new
monitors, for the first time ever, the sound is close enough.

The only issue remaining is reverb/ echo and/or stereo. I'm finding it
hard to mimic what I hear in the house versus the car, but someone
earlier in the week suggested to adjust to what sounded good in the
house, then back off a certain amount of db. That seems to be the best
compromise. I don't think the car's ever going to sound any better
without better speakers or better placement.

Overall, I'm pretty happy now, and it certainly beats what I used to do
by dragging the laptop out to the car everytime I wanted to adjust EQ on
something or mix.

Or something else ?

geoff