Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBL JBL is offline

Default add RIAA to recorded turntable?

On 05/14/2017 08:45 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/14/2017 7:03 PM, JBL wrote:
I have a Sansui 525 turntable and I am getting ready to record some
vinyl over to digital for a friend. Although I never thought about
it, I've come across some information suggesting that maybe I should
be applying RIAA eq to the audio?

You absolutely need to equalize the cartridge output. I think there are
probably some RIAA curve equalizer plug-ins for a DAW nowadays, and if
you were to use a transformer DI you'd be approximating the proper load
on the cartridge.

Better is to go to a Goodwill (or equivalent) store and buy a stereo
receiver with a Phono input. It'll probably be $25 or less unless
they've gone viral with the vinyl craze. Connect the Tape Output from
the receiver to the external level of your Zoom recorder, set the record
level carefully, and record.

I have a Numark DM-1650 "stereo preamp control center". It was a mixer
used by DJ's quite a long time ago, and I've just had it sitting here.
It does have phono inputs and I wonder if that will work?