Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Onideus Mad Hatter

Default I Want Control! Complete and Total Control!

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:42:12 GMT, Aratzio
wrote:

Yup.
BUT the caveat is that to actually achieve the *same* quality as the
original you have to use a lossless format.

WRONG!

WAV is a 1:1 of the CDDA track

Um...Bumbles, WAV is a CONTAINER FORMAT, meaning you can use just
about any codec in the thing...including MP3. What you're doing is
taking the CDDA track, which is encoded in uncompressed PCM and then
ripping it to a WAV file using the same uncompressed PCM.

which is about 10M of storage per minute of music (IIRC).

....well that would depend on what sampling rate you're using, how many
channels, precision, etc.

So you
need LOTS of storage even if you use a compressed lossless format like
FLAC or APE (40-60% compression).

D00d, seriously, your knowledge of audio compression is like close to
a decade out of date.

However if you have either tin ears, hearing loss, old age or crappy
speakers the MP3, OGG and apple lossy formats will work just fine and
are usually about 1-2M per minute of music.

Depends entirely on what bit and sample rates you're using. Only
amateurs think that an audio codec means only one type of quality.

Further, "lossy" codecs like MP3 work off psychoacoustic models that
remove sounds that aren't detectable humans...so unless you're
claiming to have supersonic hearing or you're just using a REALLY low,
constant bit rate (like 128kbps), yeah, yer full of ****.

And the time spent ripping each and everyone of those CDs and making
sure there are no errors and finding one and going back rippiSLAP

Um, as idiot as you are you obviously haven't realized that data
integrity is NOT absolute and all that music you ripped...yeah, did
you make a PAR/2 recovery set? Cause if you haven't, well, yer gonna
be ****ed when you start encountering bit level corruption (that's
when you play yer music files and you hear a high pitched squeak for a
brief second.

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm ¹ x ¹

Hatter Quotes
-------------
"I'm not a professional, I'm an artist."

"The more I learn the more I'm killing my idols."

"Is it wrong to incur and then use the hate ridden, vengeful stupidity
of complete strangers in random Usenet froups to further my art?"

"Freedom is only a concept, like race it's merely a social construct
that doesn't really exist outside of your ability to convince others
of its relevancy."

"Next time slow up a lil, then maybe you won't jump the gun and start
creamin yer panties before it's time to pop the champagne proper."

"Reality is directly proportionate to how creative you are."

"People are pretty ****ing high on themselves if they think that
they're just born with a soul. *snicker*...yeah, like they're just
givin em out for free."

"Quible, quible said the Hare. Quite a lot of quibling...everywhere.
So the Hare took a long stare and decided at best, to leave the rest,
to their merry little mess."

"There's a difference between 'bad' and 'so earth shatteringly
horrible it makes the angels scream in terror as they violently rip
their heads off, their blood spraying into the faces of a thousand
sweet innocent horrified children, who will forever have the terrible
images burned into their tiny little minds'."

"How sad that you're such a poor judge of style that you can't even
properly gauge the artistic worth of your own efforts."

"Those who record history are those who control history."

"Is my .sig delimiter broken? Really? You're sure? Awww,
gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )