Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_] Marc Wielage[_2_] is offline

Default Removing Vocals from a Song

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 02:26:08 -0800, William Sommerwerck wrote
(in article ):

And, as I said in the orginal post, there are analog and digital consumer
Pro Logic decoders. If I had nothing better to do with time, I'd pull out my
Shure HTS 5300 and see how well it removes the center-front component of a
stereo signal.
------------------------------snip------------------------------

That's a very '80s method, Bill. You can do this in about 1/10th the time in
a digital audio workstation. Why take a digital file and go through an
unnecessary D/A - A/D pass if you can do all of it in the digital domain?

I had a Lexicon CP-3 digital Dolby Pro Logic decoder I used for years, and it
actually does have a coax digital S/PDIF input. That would do this entirely
in the digital domain. But trust me, extracting the center-channel vocal
using the method I outlined before, with a plug-in, is infinitely faster and
more effective.

I agree, 15 years ago, this was not the case.

--MFW