Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Which is more important in speaker cables - thickness or lenght?

DeeAa wrote:

When you connect a pair of speakers with cables of clearly different
length, the speaker with longer cord will be lower in volume. It makes
sense, the cable 'dissipates' the power in layman's terms or
something. I'm no pro with this stuff so bear with me please.

This shouldn't really be the case unless your losses through the cable are
very substantial. And if your cable losses are very substantial, you need
a larger cable.

But then again, if we use a really thick cable, does it make it easier
for the current to pass to the speaker and translate to less signal
loss, OR would it mean more material for the amp to push and make the
longer cable speaker quieter still?

Which way around does it work?

The cable is a resistor. The speaker is a resistor. They are in series
with one another. You want as much energy in the speaker as possible and
as little wasted in the cable as possible, so you want to either increase
the impedance of the speaker or decrease the resistance of the speaker cable.
Normally the easier thing to do is to decrease the resistance of the cable,
but for extremely long runs it may be more effective to use transformers at
either end to increase the load impedance that the cable sees.