Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Default Which is more important in speaker cables - thickness or lenght?

Paul P wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:

You can find a copper wire table on the Web that will give you the
resistance in ohms per (usually) thousand feet for a given wire
gauge. You can use Ohm's Law to calculate the power lost inn the
cable and see if it's signinficant.

I think the number of strands is important as well since the
current is supposed to flow only on the surface of a wire and
more (smaller) strands makes for more surface area. This is
why good speaker cable has a whole pile of strands.

I don't go for expensive name cable. If its copper, is 14ga or
bigger made up from a really large number of strands, I'm happy.
You need a good soldering gun though.

Yes, this is very important for mega-super-duer-tweeter wiring, where
skin-effect starts to have an effect at several hundred KHz.

However each of those strands needs to be insulated from the adjacent ones.

geoff