Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jwvm@umich.edu is offline

Default Which is more important in speaker cables - thickness or lenght?

On Apr 5, 12:05*pm, DeeAa wrote:
Hey,

When you connect a pair of speakers with cables of clearly different
length, the speaker with longer cord will be lower in volume. It makes
sense, the cable 'dissipates' the power in layman's terms or
something. I'm no pro with this stuff so bear with me please.

Yes, a long cable has more losses than a short cable of the same
gauge.

So it's always best to have identical lenght and thickness for stereo.
OK. Even I can hear a difference.

You should use cables that are sufficiently large (small gauge number)
so there is not a perceptible loss.

BUT I came to thinking...IF you can't have same lengths no matter
what, which kind of cables would make the difference less noticeable -
thicker or thinner? I mean, if the cables are different length and
thin, it would make sense that even less 'power' can reach the
speaker.

Why would you want to use a thin cable anyway?

But then again, if we use a really thick cable, does it make it easier
for the current to pass to the speaker and translate to less signal
loss, OR would it mean more material for the amp to push and make the
longer cable speaker quieter still?

Thicker cables basically have less loss than thin cables. There will
be a slightly increased load on the amplifier because of the lower
resistance of thick cables but it is not a big deal.

Which way around does it work?

Use thick cables!