chung

Default Computer high-end audio - in practice

tweak wrote:

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 20:16:00 GMT, chung wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:

I see this in my future, but it look like I'd need 500+ Gb of
storage space for my collection, as .wavs. THe max I see
available (for a single drive) is about 500 Gb, and that goes for
$700. What hard drive are you using?

I've seen 250GB hard disks on sale for less than $200, and 200GB drives
for $110 or so. It's perfectly OK to have multiple drives. I can put
together a 500GB storage system easily for less than $400 now.

Using the approximate number of 10MB/minute of redbook CD audio, 500GB
is about 50,000 minutes of music. Or 833+ hours. Almost 35 days. Without
repeating any selection.

The good thing about digital (as opposed to vinyl) is that you can copy
the music a lot faster than real time, so that 35 days of music may only
take a couple of days to copy.

Didn't Sony and others make a CD jukebox?
Seems I saw their top O' the model that held like a hudred or so cd's,
used dual lasers for continuous play and interfaced with computer via
a cable.
Seems this might be an easier solution for you.

Well, 500 GB takes care of about 1,000 CD's, even without going to
(lossless) compression. Searching is much quicker and efficient. And you
can create playlists easily.