Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Clipping and tweeter damage a new twist

On 26/09/2018 8:58 pm, geoff wrote:
On 26/09/2018 10:17 PM, wrote:
The difference between a waveform and envelope depends
on the level of magnification/how much zoomed in.

No it doesn't. Those factors only relate to what you are looking at

ini what detail. Flat envelope does NOT equate to clipping AT ALL.

Doesn't HAVE to of course, but OFTEN does in the pop world these days.
You get maximum noise using huge amounts of compression *AND* large
amounts of clipping.

R.A.P.
is the only place where folks nit-pick about that distinction. I
can use either term waveform or envelope on any forum and
most participants get what I mean.

In which case they are as ignorant as you.

Sadly most often the case.

And people like you still condone clipping and peak limiting
anyway, so I'm just talking to the walls around here.

FWIW I loathe over-compression, and clipping is a totally no-no. And

peak-limiting is something totally different again.

Actually peak limiting is just another type of compression. Even
clipping is just compression with a small attack value and close to
infinite compression value.