Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dr2 Dr2 is offline

Default Old Mackie CR 1604 vlz .... ribbon cable problems?

On 11/11/2018 12:40 AM, geoff wrote:
On 11/11/2018 4:00 PM, Ron C wrote:

I picked up a ProFX8v2 .. wow, this thing is a toy at best. When you
said:
"the Mackie of today is very different from the Mackie that built your
1604 VLZ" I had no idea they had slipped this much.
Seems all of their "Pro" series is junk but they have a " ...VLZ4" series
that may not be junk.
I may skip Mackie and go with a Soundcraft LX7ii 16 as a replacement
for my old CR 1604.

I have an Allen & Heath ZED something-or-other that is very well built.

geoff

Still getting the hang of this new-fangled newsgroup reader thingy. I
think I may have private emailed one or two of you while making some
mistakes...sorry. Let's see if this one gets posted in the right place..

I haven't even looked at Rec.Audio.Pro in over a decade..but trying to
get back in the habit....even though it's not what it used to be. I
used to be involved way back when we did our first RAP CD compilation.

If I had a small gig like what you're discussing (being just a hobbyist
these days)... I don't think I'd take that kind of gear anymore. Too
much weight, and oh-so-many things to go wrong. Cables/connectors
getting corroded just sitting around, etc.

I'd grab a USB audio interface with 8 mic-inputs (like a Presonus
AudioBox or a Focusrite Scarlet) and a laptop and go do the gig with the
included software mixer. These days, the first generation interfaces
like those are nearly give-aways. Either you already have one sitting
in a closet or know someone who does.

Granted, you still have to haul amps and speakers, but basic software
plugins would handle the mixing console, compressors on every channel,
EQs, effects, monitor mixes, etc...

I know a few guys in town that do the small gigs this way, and they love
it. Plus, so many of them have the ability to mix on their ipads or
phones, it's all changed.