Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Ever heard an exotic high-dollar turntable playing LP's? Hugedifference? No?

On 30/08/2018 11:28 PM, geoff wrote:
On 30/08/2018 8:28 PM, gray_wolf wrote:
On 8/6/2018 7:18 AM, Phil W wrote:
Trevor:
On 6/08/2018 2:04 AM, John Williamson wrote:
On 05/08/2018 16:40, Don Pearce wrote:
On 5 Aug 2018 10:08:06 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Go to a high end show and listen to some of the systems there,
they are often
all over the place.Â* Very clean sounding systems next to horribly
honky ones.
--scott

Yep, some of them are so good they come up to level about 5% of that
of a cheap CD player.

About as good as a 64kbps mp3 file, then?

Only if you add wow, flutter, rumble, tics, pops, distortion etc. to
that MP3 file. Once did that to a 128kbs MP3 to see how many people
preferred it to the CD it was taken from (without telling them what
I was playing of course) No surprise there were a few. :-)

Izotope´s old "Vinyl" plug-in is still around and has even been
"renewed" somehow some years ago... so, there´s also a bit of
"vintage digital" for those, who are mainly after "vintage" whatever...

https://www.izotope.com/en/company/p...cts/vinyl.html

I had thought of using Vinyl to alter some pristine files and call
them 'Before' and name the originals as 'After' and send them to my
audio geek buddies to show off my restoration skills.
I don't think many would figure out how it was done. Never did get
around to doing it though.

Well ... I've listened extensively ( a while ago) to Linn LP12, and have
owned Mitchell Focus, Garrard 301/SME plinth+arm, and now have Thorens
something-or-other with SME3 and Audio Technica 30 something-or-other
moving-coil cartridge.

The Garrard was probably least good (probably due to idler-wheel drive),
but was the most lucrative to sell !Â* The Mitchell was striking (all
sheet-glass).

Comparing CD to LP doesn't seem remotely close on any, possibly due to
different mastering and outroight different media technical media (even
after the LP 'artifacts' are taken into account).

geoff

.... but record the LP and play back on CD, and it sound exactly the same
as the LP did.

geoff