Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck[_2_] Peter Wieck[_2_] is offline

Default Amplifier for passive subwoofers

On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 4:43:13 PM UTC-4, Howard Stone wrote:
What I think I need is a powerful transistor amp with exceptional bass. I=

was very tempted to buy a Crown DC-300A because it has such a good reputat=
ion for bass, it's affordable and available in the UK. However it turns out=
to have a very bad reputation for doing DC and frying speakers -- so no!

Crown: Purchase an industrial blender. Purchase two bottles of decent beer=
.. Drink the beer. Break the bottles. Insert in Blender - run blender. Crown=
Amp. Good move, avoiding same.=20

You don't need a huge amount of power to run subs. But, I agree that to get=
those bombard pipes properly, you will need 100-watt transient capacity, a=
t least. If you had 100-watt rms capacity, you would get anywhere up to 500=
+ watts of transient capacity - and your speakers would handle that just fi=
ne, and a lot more as a transient.=20

Peter Wieck=20
Melrose Park, PA