Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_] Ron C[_2_] is offline

Default Old Mackie CR 1604 vlz .... ribbon cable problems?

On 11/11/2018 4:44 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 11/11/2018 4:29 PM, geoff wrote:
I've got a digital mixer that has knobs and faders, and switches* ....

But not enough of either! With the exception of the faders (which on
most digital mixers can have multiple functions) you have to push some
buttons before the knob that you have available does what you want. One
moment it can be a pan, another moment it can be the frequency of an
equalizer peak, and then the next moment it's the boost or cut at that
frequency. and a minute later it can be the level of a channel in one
player's monitor mix.

Digital mixers can do everything that analog mixers can, and then some,
but other than adjusting levels in a single mix, they're slower to
operate and require more concentration on operating, and distract from
listening to what you or the players are doing. The reason why "the
really big shows" love them is because they can preset and recall
everything and all they have to do is little tweaks. We little guys who
do festivals with a completely different band every half hour can't take
advantage of those tools and have to work by the seat of our pants
without one hand tied behind our back.

Another thing with digital mixers, if you don't use it frequently you'll
[well, at least I ] would need to spend a bunch of time refreshing one's
self with all the layers and sequences and such when you pull it out.
One can figure out most analog boards by just looking at them.
Familiarity results in quicker optimization and fewer errors.
~~
I spent a lot of time in an all acoustic [um, in theory] venue that did a
new band every half hour, no set lists, and frequently didn't even know
how many band members .. very much seat of the pants.

....as usual YMMV
--
==
Later...