Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dr2 Dr2 is offline

Default Old Mackie CR 1604 vlz .... ribbon cable problems?

On 11/11/2018 7:25 AM, Ron C wrote:
On 11/11/2018 7:28 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 11/11/2018 3:33 AM, Dr2 wrote:
I'd grab a USB audio interface with 8 mic-inputs (like a Presonus
AudioBox or a Focusrite Scarlet) and a laptop and go do the gig with
the included software mixer. These days, the first generation
interfaces like those are nearly give-aways.

Whether this will work for you depends a lot on the kind of gigs you
do, and also what your generation is. Ron has been around for a long
time, and while I know he keeps up with digital things, I know that
his work at least used to be primarily with acoustic acts. That's what
I do and I find it next to impossible to work with one of today's
digital consoles, and would never consider mixing a live show with a
mouse.

A modern digital console works really well for bands that are
reasonably well rehearsed, can keep fairly constant levels on stage,
and are playing the kind of music that doesn't change too much during
a song. You can have a preset for every song in your set list to
accommodate different singers, instrument changes, and effects, but
with the acts that I work with, if I'm not constantly making small
changes, things fall apart pretty quickly. Someone who grew up playing
computer games might have the ability to handle that pretty well, but
that's not me.

Somehow, I think that Ron is a hands-on kind of guy.

Mike, I think you've nailed my profile/MO. I have no problem
mixing stuff down on a computer, but for me, live sound
tends to need knobs and faders. :-) [YMMV]

Thanks for all the input.

You're quite right. I was thinking more about the set-it-and-leave-it
type act which just needs a couple tweaks in soundcheck, and then can be
left alone for the most part.
I thought about bringing along a control surface for the more hands-on
type act, but then I've gotten back up to the point where I might just
as well bring a small analog mixer.