Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Restoring a TV-7/U Tube Tester

On Tuesday, 14 January 2014 11:59:43 UTC+11, hugeshows wrote:
Hello all,

Just picked up a TV-7/U tester today. I've used these before many times, and I've owned a few testers over the years, but never a TV-7 until today. I'm pretty happy with it, but it does have some issues.

I'm going to go over the whole process of restoring it so I might as well do it here.

Here are a couple pics. One is the unit as it looks from the outside, and as you can see somebody decided to make a hole in the top and move the power cable. Also, there's a pic of the inside where a really sloppy set of diodes was put in.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z90wa6laqkpj46t/TV7_top.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yac82k8agl...%20%281%29.jpg

So, there will be some work to do here! Already, I have noticed that while the line check seems ok on this tester, every tube I've tested so far has been showing perhaps half of the reading it should be getting. The meter movement seems ok, but something is amiss...

I've worked on several testers before, B&K, a Hickock here and there (TV7s are mostly Hickocks), and some oddball older ones of dubious quality. So I'm a bit green on this one, if anyone sees me screwin' up, please chime in.