Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Mark S Mark S is offline

Default Damper diodes as rectifiers

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
in article Hs%hi.77733$NV3.12353@pd7urf2no, Maaark at
wrote
on 7/2/07 12:48 AM:

I've seen people use dampers as rectifier before, and I like the
premise.. but something confuses me.

In the datasheets for 6AU4, 6AX4, etc, they state that "use of this tube
as a power rectifier is not recommended".

Why is it not recommended? I don't see any flaws.

One of the chief advantages of damper diodes is the "cleaner"
rectification
they provide.

One of the practical drawbacks I have found in actually using them is that
they have fairly high 6V filament current requirements, which often
entails
adding add'l iron.

I wonder if anyone has employed them using a 5V supply or knows how to
delimit them in a 5V environment.

Jon

Agreed, decent damper tubes will cost 3 to 5 A 6.3v current for two. Beyond
that, they are a great way to go and are as tough as a flippin' army boot.
The newer models (novars and duodecars) are lower impedance (stiffer) than
the older octals.
Mark