Posted to rec.audio.pro
sav

Default Recording in a Remote(ish) Area

Scott Dorsey said the following on 05/03/2006 03:55 pm:
sav wrote:
I'll try to keep this short, just one more of the many questions is, the
cost of property is ususally very high, but here we could make it very
cheaply. The locals build their houses from local materials, and a
traditional house is often round:
http://rspas.anu.edu.au/qb/articles/...ges/4-2hut.jpg

snip

The round design tends to be bad acoustically because you now have one
huge dominant room mode. The good thing about this construction, though,
is that it's actually pretty transparent at low frequencies because the
walls flex a little and act like diaphragms.

If I had to build a studio this way, I would consider making the place
more elliptical, or extended like the traditional Hawaiian buildings
rather than more Maori style.

Reckon they'd have no problem with just about any shape. Do you mean a
sort of oval shape? What would be the best shape, or do you know a good
site I could read about this?
This will do for now, if anyone's interested, including ideas on aspects
not mentioned in this post, reply here or on email. (minus the notthisbit)

What really matters, though, is that this is the sort of room that the
music is normally played in, and therefore this is what it's _supposed_
to sound like. So even if there are room problems, some of those problems
might be things you want to preserve.

I'll definitely remember that, if only to use it as an excuse!