Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

Default Do milspec tubes *necessarily* sound better?

In article ,
Peter Wieck wrote:

c) Last I looked (and that is admittedly superficially) the 101-series
of tubes was used primarily for telephoney purposes and for coaxial
broadband applications - where distortion was less a concern than
signal loss.

This claim is misleading, distortion was a serious concern "for coaxial
broadband applications". These systems carried hundreds of telephone with a
frequency multiplex scheme, crosstalk between telephone conversations is
considered undesirable, and distortion directly causes crosstalk in these
systems, hence distortion is a major concern. I know that this aspect of
nonlinear "distortion" is difficult for an audiophile to comprehend, but the
crosstalk generated by nonlinear "distortion" in an analog multiplex, such as
was used in "coaxial broadband" systems, is easy for even a tin ear to hear.

--
Regards,

John Byrns