Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Do milspec tubes *necessarily* sound better?

On Nov 30, 2:57*pm, Andre Jute wrote:

I admire your saintly patience in correcting Worthless Wiecky's
multitudinous errors, but I can't say I aspire to it. Not enough
decades left in my life to turn Worthless into an even half-competent
audiophile.

Couple of things, Fruitless...

a) The 300B (or any of the 300-series tubes in any case) weren't used
in Telephoney. They were used in audio recording and playback
applications for moving pictures - and again, 10%+ distortion in
actual use was neither unexpected nor unacceptable.
b) 300 - 3400hz was the norm for voice lines. And those on either end
of the phone line speaking into their handset got that, and only that,
and until well after WWII, only on a good day in many areas. Coax and
broadband uses of coax were developed in the 20s, and used a great
deal for increasing capacity - but what the user heard was quite
limited.
c) Last I looked (and that is admittedly superficially) the 101-series
of tubes was used primarily for telephoney purposes and for coaxial
broadband applications - where distortion was less a concern than
signal loss. And I don't see you promoting that one in your pantheon
of golden tubes.
d) Actually, as tubes go, very, very few were used for general
telephony purposes anyway. I believe that the only actual electronic
(vs. mechanical) vacuum-tube switch came in quite late, and operated
for only a few years - I also seem to remember it being in the late
50s and happening only very shortly before solid-state took over the
entire process.

John is an excellent historian and makes a good water-carrier for you
- far better than you deserve and he does it to his great detriment.
But do note that he quibbles on one aspect of one of the details, not
the substance. But it is time you promoted him to the striker position
as you have clearly lost it.

I really want to see those hand-made, short-run Mil.Spec. general-
purpose tubes so good for audio purposes. And, comes to it, those that
were pulled from common production "by test". Perhaps in countries
with only limited tube production, or where _everything_ was special-
purpose - and about the only 'country' that fits that model in the
time mentioned (pre-war) would be the Soviet Union... is that what you
meant?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA