Posted to rec.audio.pro
coreybenson coreybenson is offline

Default Yamaha 01v Fader Repair?

On Oct 13, 6:50 pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
coreybenson wrote:
Picked up a used Yamha 01V mixing console for $350. Channel 11 has
issues. It will not allow any signal to pass until it hits about 80%
of the fader (as you fade to the top of the fader), then it comes in
full force. It also won't move (motorized) through the section where
it won't register.
Any ideas what could cause this?

Well, er . . . it might be a bad fader, or it may be that the fader is
OK but whatever it controls is on the fritz.

Entirely possible... hence my post! :-)

Any thoughts on a fix? I have some
Caig Deoxit, which I was going to try tonight

I'd keep that stuff away from it. How good of a repair technician are
you? Can you replace it with a fader from another channel without
someone writing the service manual for you that Yamaha probably never
published? I'd do that. If it works, then your only problem will be to
find a replacement fader.

LOL - fair enough, Mike. Hadn't even thought about replacing it with a
different fader. Definitely worth a shot.

There is a local repair center that thinks they can replace it for
around $150. Seems a bit steep for a simple fader replacement,
especially if I could do it myself

Take it there. If you don't have that fader out by now, I'll bet you
can't do it yourself. And if it isn't the fader, maybe they'll find out
what it is and fix that.

I haven't had a chance to get into it, but... I understand your
thinking! LOL

I've replaced faders in consoles before. I can read a multimeter. The
US Navy taught me microsoldering, and I'm not afraid to get my hands
dirty. I am exceedingly busy, so I'll probably end up bringing it to a
shop, but from Sebastian's post, it sounds like it's not that
difficult to get into.

Thanks for the post, Mike (and everyone else who posted thoughts/
opinions). I'll post and let everyone know what I find once I'm done.

Corey