Posted to rec.audio.pro
coreybenson coreybenson is offline

Default Yamaha 01v Fader Repair?

On Oct 13, 4:55*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
coreybenson wrote:
I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron, but I'm betting this one's
beyond me.

Picked up a used Yamha 01V mixing console for $350. Channel 11 has
issues. It will not allow any signal to pass until it hits about 80%
of the fader (as you fade to the top of the fader), then it comes in
full force. It also won't move (motorized) through the section where
it won't register.

Bet a nickel that the fader element is cracked. *At the bottom of the
scale, the slider is connected to ground. *Above the crack, it's connected
to the element, but the element isn't connected to ground.

When in the 20% of the fader that works, it's flawless... but... I'd
rather have all 12 faders working perfectly.

Any ideas what could cause this? Any thoughts on a fix? I have some
Caig Deoxit, which I was going to try tonight, but I'm fairly certain
it's not just a dirty fader... although I could be wrong, I suppose.

Replace the fader. *Depending on what kind it is, you might be able to
patch the element with conductive epoxy. *I wouldn't trust that as a
long-term repair, though.

There is a local repair center that thinks they can replace it for
around $150. Seems a bit steep for a simple fader replacement,
especially if I could do it myself, but, that motorized portion makes
me think this could potentially be beyond my skill set/knowledge base.

Wait until you find out what parts cost. *$150 is fair for something that
is going to require extensive disassembly and a fairly expensive part.
You could do it yourself and it probably won't even require soldering,
but you won't save all that much I bet.
"C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Interesting diagnosis! Thanks for the info, Scott! I haven't looked
into the part yet. In my experience, getting parts out of Yamaha is
painful, time consuming and often fruitless, unless you're an
authorized repair center. It sure doesn't LOOK like it'd be hard to
get into, but...

I'll probably take a shot at it tonight. We'll see what's in there!

Corey