Scott Dorsey

I am having a very frustating time getting the volume we disire out of
my sound system w/o excessive feedback. I play in a bluegrass band (
www.whitepinehollow.com ) and attemtping to get a clean, amplified
acoustic sound working a single condenser mike. Our system is: AKG C
3000 B mike, sometimes a AKG C 1000 on the acoustic bass at very low
gain, Mackie 1202 board, JBL EON G2 Powered speakers. It seem like
I'm in a tug - of - war between cutting gain (loosing the mike power
we need) and increasing volume. I've had tons of advise from "ditch
the powered speakers - they're for outdoors only", to "ditch the
condenser mikes, they'll only feed". I am tempted to try a feedback
eliminator but have been told they take out too much tone?

Get tighter microphones. Condenser or not... just as long as they have
a much cleaner pattern. I cannot imagine anything worse than the C3000
in that application.

Get some way of notching out feedback modes. The Sabine feedback eliminators
do a good job if you set them up properly. If you turn them on and expect
magic out of the box, they will destroy your sound. Just like anything
else.

A parametric EQ or a little dipper will allow you to do the same thing that
the feedback eliminator does, just by hand. It will take a little longer
to set up and it will take some thought, but in the process you will get a
better sense of where the room modes are.

It would help to have speakers with better pattern control than the EONs,
too, but that is less of an issue than either one of the above.