Posted to rec.audio.tech
Fred[_12_] Fred[_12_] is offline

Default Yamaha RX-V596 humming

"Adamfarber" wrote in message ...

David Nebenzahl;911263 Wrote:
On 6/13/2010 12:56 PM Adamfarber spake thus:
-
Hi Mark, I unhooked everything and hooked up a speaker to one of the
outputs and listened to FM and I still heard the him. Thanks, Adam-

The "him"?
Oh, you must mean the "hymn".

Whoops, meant HUM, thanks, Adam

Most likely a cap in one of the low voltage supplies has failed, feeding unfiltered
DC to a regulator which cannot maintain smooth output voltage because the input
is going to zero 120 times a second.

You have to be a technician with troubleshooting skills, experience with AV receivers,
test equipment and service information to fix this. Assuming that's not you, the unit
needs to go to a Yamaha warranty station for repair (Yamaha's warranty stations have
access not just to service manuals but also to confidential service bulletins, and more
importantly they have access to the technical staff at Yamaha, which is the only really
competent technical staff in the business). I can call Allen at Yamaha, give him the
model number, and he'll tell me what the problem is and how to fix it because he and his
staff know their equipment that well.

Obviously, I work for a Yamaha warranty station. That's the only company we still do
warranty audio work for, because it's the only one with a staff that knows a damn thing
about their product. Well, them and McIntosh, but there are no Mac dealers around here,
so they don't figure they need a warranty station here (Reno, NV).

Fred

--
Adamfarber