Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

Default Howdy, you CHANGED your Email address...NUTJOB, PSYCHO!

Like I told you more then likely someone you ripped off on ebay tried to sell
your worthless car. You know all about crooks and how they do it, being one
yourself.

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
Here's yet another example of your very weird obsession with me. And
EVERYONE can see this for themselves to prove my point. I had you blocked
but you CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS JUST SO I WOULD SEE WHAT YOU POSTED.

Your address WAS and I blocked you and now your address
is
.

I have blocked that one as well but I'l bet you'll CHANGE IT AGAIN.

If this doesn't prove you're like some crazy stalker I don't know what does.
OBVIOUSLY anyone who would go through this much trouble would certainly pull
a stunt like try and sell my car online, I mean duh. And BTW, you can change
your Email address as many times as you like you psycho nut-job, I'm NOT
going to read anything of yours and just add your new addresses to my
blocked list.

CRAZY! CUCKOO!!! STALKER!!! NUTJOB!!!

But hell, go ahead and just keep trying things. I'm curious to what lengths
a crazy, obsessed Internet stalker will go to try to dis me or make my life
miserable or whatever your crazy, ****ed up mind thinks you are doing to me.

The REAL answer is nothing, except mild amusement and subtle bewilderment.

But changing your Email speaks VOLUMES about your psychotic nature.

MOSFET

"Captain Howdy" wrote in message

See I told ya that you're a ****brick. You're the biggest **** tart on rac
in
many years. Over the years your advice has changed more then the weather.
don't know who tried to sell your car, must of been one of your fans or
someone you ripped off on Ebay.
http://tinyurl.com/ysz5gv

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
And I just can't help add one more thing. What the hell is it with me
that
bugs you so much? Why did you try and sell my car on an on-line car sales
site, a nasty trick I reported to your IP which might have explained your
mysterious three month absense from this group. What have I done to you?

I try to be polite and helpful to all. I am NOT an EE and I would
certainly
not claim to know everything in the world about car audio. And I
certainly
may make a mistake now and then, and I have absolutely no problem copping
my mistakes.

But here's the thing, I HAVE been involved with car audio for over 20
years
now. That is absolutely, positively true as my wife would more than
attest.
I HAVE worked for Phoenix Gold in their marketing department as I have an
MBA from the University of Portland, class of '95. All of these facts can
be checked out and verified, my name is Nicholas Victor Tanner. Phoenix
Gold would be happy to tell you I have worked for them and the University
of
Portland Business School would certainly be more than happy to verify for
you that I got my MBA in 1995, hell, I'll Email you a photo of my degree.
They would also tell you I taught a Consumer Behavior class to both
graduates and undergrads as an adjunct proffessor, and NO, I don't mean I
was a TA, I designed the curriculm, had an office, office hours, the works
(I did this in the evenings and was paid quite well, I mean it's a private
Catholic school), the students called me Dr. Tanner which was technically
incorrect as I don't have a PhD, but YOU KNOW I didn't correct them as I
liked the sound of it. What education do you have, just out of
curiosity (I want to know the education level of your average troll).

I competed in IASCA events for years and have installed DOZENS of systems
for friends, family and myself.

Again, do I know it all? Of course not. But do I know a hell of a lot
about car audio? I think I can honestly say, yes, I do. Certainly enough
to help 90% of the questions that come this way.

So again, I don't know where all the annimous (do you know what that word
means?) comes from. I REALLY don't.

But you're blocked so I won't hear any response and frankly, I really
don't
care.

MOSFET

"Captain Howdy" wrote in message
Misfit you havent had a DECENT system in all the time that you've been
coming
here,stop the bull****. Just love the post about your new Alpine
speakers
while back, arent you the one that was making fun of Japanese speakers?

I love stories too and I would love to share one about a ****brick that
has
been coming here for many years talking dumb **** as if he knew his face
from
his asshole just to keep changing his so called facts as time goes by.
But
think you already know that story.

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
OK, I'm so desperate to talk about car audio that I swear I'm going to
start
answering questions no one asked in the DESPERATE hope I might start a
thread.

The problem is right now my car sounds absolutely better than ANY car
system
I have ever owned, or heard.....EVER. Again, today I spent several
hours
in
my car, absolutely dazzled by the incredible sound quality. The
Infinity
Kappas driven by my Phoenix Gold amp and my 6.5" Alpine Class R's driven
by
my Fosgate Punch 225.2 just sound absolutely PERFECT together. I have
the
crossovers dialed in absolutely perfectly. I swear, even my wife's
music
typically hate (soft rock) sounded wonderful and engaging. I really am
NOT
trying to brag or anything like that, it's just I happen to be VERY
pleased
at the moment with my system so naturally I want to talk about car
audio.
am just VERY INTO CAR AUDIO at the moment. But the problem is that
judging
from the number of new posts, I feel like I'm the only one (of course I
know
many of you are heavily into car audio, too).

So, answering questions nobody is asking....

What about the old question of "where is the best place to put your
subwoofers?'.

Let me tell you a little story about how I learned this leason the HARD
and
EXPENSIVE way. I first got heavily into car audio around 1988. Between
1988 and 1995 I owned 4 different cars and with each car I kept
upgrading
my
system. I mean, my very first car with what I would consider my first
DECENT system back in 1988 had as it's front speakers a set of 4" Alpine
coaxials driven by the head unit. I call it my first decent system
because
it was the first system I had ever owned with a SUBWOOFER driven by an
outboard amp, a Rockford Fosgate Punch 75. And the sub was a Fosgate
12"
punch in a ported enclosure. Although the front stage stunk, I thought
was in heaven as I finally had BASS IN MY CAR!!!!! Oh, and my back
speakers
were a set of Fosgate 767's 6.5" coaxials, again driven by the HU. I
upgraded by first buying another amp to drive the front speakers, an
Alpine
3522 (I think that was the model number, I know it ended in 22). The
next
upgrade was an amp to drive the rear Fosgate speakers, a Denon (when
Denon
used to make car amps) something, I honestly don't remember the model
number
but it was RATED at 30X2 but I could immediately tell they were
overrated
as
the much smaller Alpine 3522 could blow this larger Denon away. No
wonder
Denon went out of business.

Now I continued to make improvements, next using a much better quality
6.5"
coaxial in front and finally seperates. My first set of seperates were
Boston Accoustics Pro series 6.5".

Anyway, in 1993 and 1994 I dabbled in competing in several IASCA events
in
my area. My cars were pretty nice, clean, but my systema were really
nothing to write home about. HOWEVER, in 1995 I bought a brand new
Nissan
Maxima. Now in case you don't remember, this is the year they changed
the
body style to the more rounded style, they put a much more powerful
engine
in and was Motor Trends car of the year. It was an SE with beige
leather,
sunroof, and was this beautiful black/green metalic color.

Now this was really the height of IASCA and I desided with this
beautiful
new car I was going to pull out all the stops and put an award winning,
magazine quality system in this car. I had a good friend who was an
installer for Magnolia Hi-Fi so I paid him under the table several
thousand
dollars (and four weeks with no car as it was in his garage as he worked
every single day on it after he got home from work, somtimes late into
the
night) to build an absolute kick-ass system. It was beautiful. It was
driven by a single amp, a Soundstream Reference 705, 5 channel amp that
had
just come out and was hailed by everyone for it's sound quality,
features,
and high-current abilities (the subwoofer channel was .5 ohm stable, all
the
other channels were 1 ohm stable). I bought the new at the time, Alpine
7939, the top of the line alpine, not the most attractive HU Alpine has
ever
built as the control knob looked like a nose and it was frankly a stupid
design because although it kind of looked like a knob, it wasn't a knob,
you
turned the nose and all it accomplished was like hitting a volume up or
volume down button, it was like it couldn't decide whether it wanted to
be
volume knob, or volume buttons, so this was some kind of compromise.
Thankfully, Alpine realized what most people want are knobs so they can
attenuate the volume up or down as quickly as they can turn a knob,
that's
the way I like it, so I can INSTANTLY turn the volume all the way down
with
a quick flick of the wrist. Of course, all models of Alpine's that end
in
"9" (like the famous 7909) indicate they have no internal amplifier of
their
own and require outboard amps. My front speakers were the Boston
Accoustics
Pro Series seperates and what was cool about the SE series with the Bose
system was that it CAME with A-pillar pods for the Bose tweeters with
grills
that, of course, matched everything so I simply used those for my Boston
tweets and the midbass speaks went in the factory door spots, however
with
much Dynamat added to the doors and trunk. In fact, funny story, when I
first got the car and you pushed the trunk button on the remote the
trunk
quickly poppped completely opened. I had so much Dynamat applied to the
trunk that when you pushed the trunk button, it simply unlocked and
elevated
a pathetic 1/4", my wife wasn't real happy about that. I had Boston Pro
6.5" midbass drivers (no tweeters) for rear fill, run in mono (I thought
it
helped anchor my center image better in mono). I had fake burled wood
trim
on the inside put in, had the ENTIRE "premium" Bose system ripped out
(never
saw more than 2 hours of use, don't think the cassette deck of the
double
DIN CD/Cassette player was EVER used). Had a burled wood push out spare
compartment to fill the DIN space left behind after the double DIN unit
was
removed. He built a beautiful amp rack with amp, a Phoenix Gold 15 band
EQ
(EQ15 something, don't remember the model number but they were very
popular
EQ's at the time and for years afterwards) and two Monster Cable .5
farad
caps tied together by two Monster gold plated buss barrs. The cool
thing
was that the Phoenix Gold EQ and Monster caps all had lots of white and
blue
(and blue matched the amp of course) and all the wiring was hidden in a
pull-out compartment under the subwoofer so all the visable components
seemed to match with this blue and white theme. When the amp rack was
in
it's compartment under the sub, I had two fans in a push/pull
configuration
to wash air over the entire affair but it was nearly impossible to SEE
those
fans ( however, you bet I fricken MADE the IASCA judges see those fans).
had an Optima Yellow top, Phoenix circuit breaker (as I still do today),
and
unlike now (I have Phoenix Gold RCA's and speaker wire now as I sold the
stereo with the Maxima as the stereo was completely "built-into" the car
so
there was more value in selling the stereo complete with the car rather
than
picking this thing and that out of it because obviously the
subwoofer/amp
rack was built into the car) I had all Monster Cable high-end RCA's and
speaker wire throughout.

Anyway, the subs. I had a pair of Soundstream SPL12's, 12" subs in
their
own 1.5 cuibic foot sealed enclosures. Now the enclosure was obviously
in
the trunk, but the subs faced forward so when you put the rear seat
arm-rest
down you saw half of each sub, right there nearly at the opening. There
was
really no need for grills (although IASCA knocked some points off at one
event which ****ed me off) as there was no way you could accidentally
damage
one as you would have to reach through the arm rest hole to touch them
and
of course nothing could accidentially fall back there or anything.

ANYWAY, it was truly a work of art. I mean it was beautiful. And I
certainly accumulated my share of trophies for the next few years. The
largest being this RIDICULOUS 5 foot high trophy I won at a Magnolia
Hi-Fi
event, I won best of show, of course I think part of the reason I won
that
is that every component in that car was bought from store that sponsored
the
event, it certainly couldn't have hurt. And I did well in the IASCA
circuit
competing in Tacoma, Seattle, and Portland. As I recall, I ALWAYS
placed
(1st, 2nd or 3rd) competing in the amature 250-500 division I believe
(which
was actually a good division as the 150-300 watts division was MURDER as
recall and there were always many more competitors in that catagory). I
had
enough points to go to nationals my first year but it was out of the
question as I couldn't take that much time away from work, nor did I
want
have to rent a trailer or, of course, put several thousand miles on the
car
to drive to Daytona. Also, I knew enough about the real HEAVY HITTERS
like
Dave Rivera and Steve Brown who were already doing things with 'glass
and
Rivera's ridiculous fishtanks he incorporated in all his installs to
know
didn't stand a chance against these SPONSORED (unlike me) multi-kilobuck
systems.

Anyway, I'm actually finally getting to my original point which was how
learned some important lessons about bass. Basically, it started when I
realized just by chance one day that when the trunk was open the bass
increased SUBSTANTIALLY. At the time, I had no idea why this was so. I
really didn't. So I believe I actually asked the question here nearly
15
years ago about why the hell my bass got so much louder when the trunk
was
open. Like I said, I did not know the things I know now and I just
couldn't
wrap my head around this frankly annoying phenomena (I wanted this
substantially increased bass ALL THE TIME). And of course someone like
Manville Smith explained to me that what was happening was that as my
subwoofer cones were bassically at the center of the car and that bass
is
going back (as well as forward), bouncing off the rear-trunk, then going
forward, this extra distance of travel causing these waves to become 180
degrees out of phase and when those waves catch up to the waves going
forward in the first place, they cancel out a substantial portion of my
bass. Of course, I've spent thousands, this enclosure and amp-rack
drawer
are built into the car (I mean, when you opened my trunk, NOTHING would
tell
you there was a stereo there (except for the fact you might think it was
very small trunk for a car that size), EVERYTHING was completely stealth
and
built in AS IF it had come with the car. It was a truly amazing install
job
and if I were to pay a shop to do the work, I'm sure it would have cost
several thousand dollars in installation alone (my friend did it for
only
$1000 for all his hard work night after night, he guessed probably 50
hours,
and keep in mind, this is what he does for a living).

So of course, nothing could be done about the situation I found myself
in,
and I just learned to accept it (because, OBVIOUSLY, turning the
subwoofer
around was quite literally impossible unless I destroyed it first to get
it
out of the car).

So I learned a VERY expensive lesson in accoustics: you always want your
cones as close to the boundries of your car like corners or at least the
rear-end to avoid cancellation. You know, I kind of blamed my
installer,
Glen, a bit as well. I mean, HE WAS CERTTIFIED for Pete's sake and
should
have seen this coming. I also let him do the majority of designing the
system (I just picked out the components I wanted to use, but I let him
have
free reign with how the whole thing was to be designed and built. I
always
wonder if the subwoofers had simply been facing the rear with attractive
sub
grills and such, if the bass would have been much louder. OR, I now
wonder
if he had taken more time in sealing the space behind the sub with 1"
MDF
if
those waves could have been prevented from going to the rear, because as
he
had it, he used just thin 1/8" plywood for facia elements covered in
automotive carpet that matched the Maxima's trunk carpet (of course he
used
3/4" MDF for the sub enclosure).

Now, to be fair, that system did pump out the bass pretty damn well.
But
in
truth it doesn't come close to my two 15"s driven by my 1000 watt Class
have now. I mean, my system now is TRULY a ground pounder, like none
other
I've ever owned. But, of course, beyond it's brute force, like I said,
it;s
SQ is simply AMAZING. Like I said at the begginging, THE BEST system I
have ever owned or even HEARD in my life.

Well, that was a whole lot of bull**** for no good reason. If anyone
has
stories about their first systems or how they got into car audio I love
hearing those stories. I reallly do because if you're old like me
(41),
in
high-school the **** was 6x9's, a cassette deck and booster EQ. THAT
was
state of the art in '83 and was what I had in my first car (well, minus
the
booster EQ, but I did have a cassette deck which was considered
"high-end"
anda pair of 6X9's. Of course it sounded like crap but we didn't know
any
better.

Anyway, I love stories......please share......

MOSFET