Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] tubeguy@myshop.com is offline

Default What company made the best vintage Test Equipment?

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 04:20:08 -0800 (PST), Peter Wieck
wrote:

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 6:43:25 PM UTC-5, wrote:

There is that...

Note that when the stuff was made, it was not "Vintage" but new. Note that the
likes of Eico, Heath, and other hobby-rated equipment was designed to a price-point
that put it within the range of a hobbyist, and just good enough for the need. Any
serious tech would have dismissed it out-of-hand for commercial-grade test equipment,
as their livelihood depended on it.

This is a hobby and only a hobby. I have no intention of starting a
business. These days the only customers would want me to repair modern
solid state gear, and I want no part of that. I work on tube gear
because I enjoy it. Solid state stuff only frustrates me, and if that is
what I had to repair, I'd switch hobbies to bird watching or something.
Hobbies are intended to be enjoyable.

I learned electronics in the 1960s. What I used was the same test gear
that I use now. Eico, Heathkit, Allied, etc. It has always served me
well, and has allowed me to repair lots of old tube radios and amps. I
have never seen a need for the commercial grade stuff. One exception was
the old 50's scope that I used back then. That thing was way to big,
heavy, and lacked features. I now have a Sencore PS163 scope and it
works great.

Anyhow, this test gear was made for the things I work on, and is simple
to use. So, it's appropriate for my hobby and my needs. Not to mention
all that old gear was built like an Army tank and lasts forever......

I did like the shoelaces post, however.

I have no idea what you're talking about!!!!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA