Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
Foxs Mercantile Foxs Mercantile is offline

Default What type of capacitor should I use?

On 3/9/2017 7:01 PM, wrote:
What type of capacitor would be the best match to replace
the old paper/wax caps in old tube gear?

Were you NOT paying attention previously when we ALL told
you to use the yellow plastic caps? 630 volt.

http://www.tuberadios.com/capacitors/

Or are you just being stubborn?

Paper dielectric capacitors are crap. They ALL need to be
replaced. Trying to "just replace the bad ones" is a fool's
errand. They're all bad or will fail after they're "back
in service" again.

I have a Collins R-390A receiver on the bench. It's full of
paper capacitors. The IF module alone had 18 of them. They
have all been replaced.
"But it's Collins" and "Those were mil-spec" and and and
every other excuse for not changing them. Changing them made
a profound difference in how well the radio works.

These parts are bad. Anyone that tells you otherwise is
either lying to you or is delusional.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi