at

"Krzysiek Słychań" wrote in message
But consider surge on valve anodes and OPT when the amp is "underloaded"
(the load's impedance is higher than the amp's output one)... It's not

like
the transistor (whew!) amp. If you connect i.e. 16 Ohm speaker to 4 Ohm

amp
output, the amp's likely to be damaged.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Krzysiek Słychań

So, do you mean, that if I use 4ohm speakers, the output impedance should be
at least 4 ohms?
Then why do some people say that the output impedance should be at least 10
times lower than than the speaker impedance for good control of cone motion?
That would mean that with a 4ohm speaker, the Zo should be 0.4ohms.
I've also hear that the output impedance must be less than one ohm for best
performance. And they don't speak about SS amps, but tube ones.

If I understood it correctly, you mean that if the speaker impedance is
higher that the amps output impedance, the amp is likely to get damaged?
That would mean, that with an amp with a single ended 300B tube with Rp 700
ohms and a output transformer that has primary impedance of 4000ohms and
secondary 4ohms, the amp is likely to get damaged, since the output
impedance of the amp is now 0.7ohms with a 4 ohm load. Then to raise the
output impedance to safe 4 ohms, the output transformer primary impedance
should be 700 ohms. But people use higher impedances on the output
transformer primary, and the amps don't blow... or do they?

Or did I misunderstoond something?

-at

-at