Chris Hornbeck

On 4 May 2005 21:32:50 -0700, "Steve Scott"
wrote:

Hey I'm old enough to remember "whip me beat me..." too

I'd love to know the reference! Sadly, faded away...

Speakers are as mentioned in my first post -- Dynaudio Bm15 at 88 dB.
I don't doubt the volume can be enough for my near field needs, I'm
just a little concerned about the dynamic headroom.

So, your issue is in defining peak to average ratio? Yeah, that's
*the* modern issue. Wouldn't an acoustical orchestra be reasonably
conservative? Dunno, maybe not enough; Radiohead/ PJ Harvey kinda
stuff also has real dynamics. Not a trivial matter.

I'm mainly looking for clean and fairly accurate, with some musicality.
I'm not building audiophile rocketships so the Krell/Spectral/etc. is
not for my needs right now. And I admit I have the soft spot for
classic equipment that "feels" right as well as sounds right.

Monitoring is the most personal thing that doesn't involve
squishy body parts. Some folks (including me) still seem to hear
something in some old-fashioned vacuum tube equipment that is
a lot harder to hear in some "better" modern equipment. So shoot me.

Tools are personal. Work is work.
It's YOUR gig.

Good fortune; you sound like a real trooper,

Chris Hornbeck
"Clean, edgy, gutless, and lifeless." -Dan Kennedy