Tim Perry

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Marshall" wrote in message
I am having a very frustating time getting the volume we desire out of
my sound system w/o excessive feedback. I play in a bluegrass band (
www.whitepinehollow.com ) and attempting to get a clean, amplified
acoustic sound working a single condenser mike. Our system is: AKG C
3000 B mike, sometimes a AKG C 1000 on the acoustic bass at very low
gain, Mackie 1202 board, JBL EON G2 Powered speakers. It seem like
I'm in a tug - of - war between cutting gain (loosing the mike power
we need) and increasing volume. I've had tons of advise from "ditch
the powered speakers - they're for outdoors only", to "ditch the
condenser mikes, they'll only feed". I am tempted to try a feedback
eliminator but have been told they take out too much tone?

Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

first question: do you have someone running the sound for the entire show
or do you self mix from the stage?

second question: are the times that you have the worst problems when
available space dictates placing the speakers close to the performers?

third question: do you use a 1/3 octave graphic EQ on the mains?

FBX units work by activating a narrowband notch filter(s) of varying depths.
for a more detailed explanation visit http://www.sabine.com/ .

like any tool they have their pluses and minuses. i find that when a rock or
blues band demands really loud stage volume it gives me an extra few dB of
headroom before feedback.
using them on long, brain numbing conferences a sudden squeal (someone
cupping a mic or some goofy thing) is squelched before i can get my hand to
the board.

just using the info that you have posted my best guestimate would be that
you need to address your stage setup and techniques. you need to create a
situation where the microphone hears the instruments and not the sound from
the speakers. if you cannot achieve this you will need to close mic the
instruments and vocals.