Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Want to design a 3-way speaker with "extreeeem" excursion

On 11/1/2010 12:17 PM ChrisCoaster spake thus:

On Nov 1, 7:52 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message

I'm thinking about a speaker line, both a bookshelf and a
floorstanding model. Standard 8-16ohm impedance, current state
of art materials, with as low-resonance a cabinet as humanly
possible. Speaker would be a sealed unit, capable of handling
anywhere from 50-200W.

The midrange might also be visibly moved, especially on tracks
with strong transient drums(think early-to-mid era Genesis or
just about anything from LZ).

This is a rediculous cosmetic-only requirement.

[snip]

Sigh...Why couldn't everyone be more like Dick Pierce?(a little heavy
on the math, but otherwise takes time to lay it out in plain terms)

Arny is what I'd call a sourpuss. Very knowledgable, yes, but then, so
is Dick Pierce, who was kind enough to indulge quite a bit of ignorance
here (including my own) in a civil way. If you can't discuss things on
their lofty level, folks like Arny just turn up their noses at you.

Once you're aware of this it ceases to be a problem.