Jim Anable

I simply believe that the prevailing notions being conveyed in this forum to
dismiss Chinese and Soviet Tubes as "junk" or "polished turds" to be
unfounded nonsense - perhaps rooted in either racist or protectionists bias.

You're simply wrong. It's not racist or protectionist bias, it's preference
based on experience. We have ears. We can hear what they sound like. I, for
one, have a tube tester. Why is it that many current tubes come new with low
transconductance? I have OLD tubes that are stronger than the some new Sovtek's
that I have purchased. Do you agree that there is more variation in current
tubes than back in the 50's and 60's?

In either case, an element of ignorance seems to be present.

Most of us don't give a red rat's rump about the technical aspects. We want a
tube that sounds good in our gear and that has a decent life span. If you
cannot understand that, you need to just accept it and move on.

If someone is
going to call something junk - I'd like to know why - and so far, no one has
offered anything scientifically reproducible.

Well, as far as the "scientific" aspect of my personal taste, I have conducted
bliind "taste tests" of preamp tubes (I don't have enough power tubes to make
this test worthwhile, and the bias time would kind of ruin the fun). Somebody
else did the swapping, I did the playing. I consistently picked Mullard tubes
in my Marshall. I don't know of a "scientific" machine that I can plug a tube
in and have it read out whether or not I like it. Nor do I need one. I know
what I like, and that's all that matters. I also know that current production
tubes cannot hold a candle to quality U.S., British and German tubes of the 50's
and 60's when it comes to longevity.