Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
davew davew is offline

Default dBFS

On Nov 20, 2:43*am, Randy Yates wrote:
davew writes:
On Nov 20, 12:17*am, Randy Yates wrote:
Let me respond to you with this question: If you had a meter that
-24 dBFS with a Fs/4 sine wave, what would the peak value of the
sine wave be?

--Randy

If it was Full scale/4 then it's:
20log10(0.25) = -12.04dBFS
It wouldn't read -24dBFS at all

Sorry for not being more specific, Dave. I'm using "Fs" to mean the
sample frequency, not "full-scale" - for the latter I write "FS".
--
Randy Yates * * * * * * * * * * *% "...the answer lies within your soul
Digital Signal Labs * * * * * * *% * * * 'cause no one knows which side

OK I see what you're asking. With an initial phase of pi/4, giving a
reading of -24dBFS would mean true peak is -21dBFS I suppose. I may
be missing your point though.