Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro

Default dBFS

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 16:33:53 -0500, Randy Yates
wrote:

Hi,

Some had responded here to my recent inquiry on levels that dBFS is a
peak measurement.

If an RMS measurement needs to be made for a digital signal (i.e., on a
digital mixing console or a ProTools plugin), what units are utilized? I
thought they were dBFS, i.e., that dBFS was an RMS measurement.
Apparently I am incorrect. Somebody please set me straight.

dBFS answers the question "by how many dB must the signal be increased
for the highest peak to hit full scale"? I think that should answer it
for you.