Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
rickman rickman is offline

Default dBFS

Since this seems to be a top posted thread and I don't like being
yelled at for top posting, maybe I shouldn't contribute... ;^)

I can't resist. I would not think by saying dBFS you are specifying
one way or another about whether a value is RMS or peak. The dB is
just a power measurement. Hmmm.... maybe I'm not thinking enough.
Because of the reference to meters, I am thinking of peak in the sense
of a vu meter that holds a peak value, not the peak level of an AC
signal. If you mean the latter, I expect all power measurements would
be RMS and dBFS is a power measurement, no?

Rick

On Nov 19, 5:09*pm, Randy Yates wrote:
Cross-posting to comp.dsp.

--RY

Randy Yates writes:
Also, what reference level does an analog peak-reading meter
use?

--Randy

Randy Yates writes:

Hi,

Some had responded here to my recent inquiry on levels that dBFS is a
peak measurement.

If an RMS measurement needs to be made for a digital signal (i.e., on a
digital mixing console or a ProTools plugin), what units are utilized? I
thought they were dBFS, i.e., that dBFS was an RMS measurement.
Apparently I am incorrect. Somebody please set me straight.

--
Randy Yates * * * * * * * * * * *% "Ticket to the moon, flight leaves here today
Digital Signal Labs * * * * * * *% *from Satellite 2"