Posted to rec.audio.tech
ShadowTek ShadowTek is offline

Default Question about series/parallel speaker setup

On 2010-02-12, David Nebenzahl wrote:

So now you're into trying to assign different frequencies to different
speakers; you didn't explain that before.

Not to pop your balloon or anything, but you might not get the results
you're hoping for. When you write about certain speakers having or not
having a satisfactory midrange, etc., you seem to be forgetting
something important about speaker design. It's called a "crossover", and
it's a (usually, not always) simple circuit that actually separates
different frequencies to different speakers.

You mean built *into* the speaker? Unless that's what you mean (and
assuming that it would filter the signal that is being sent to the rest
of the speakers in the circuit), I don't see how the outcome would be any
different than I had originally expected.

I've used *external* crossovers before for subwoofers, so I *do* know
what their purpose is. I've never used them for mids and highs though,
so I don't have any experience with how noticable the difference is.

Without it, all bets are kinda off as to what kind of performance you're
going to get out of this lash-up of mongrel speakers. It sounds as if
you're going to need a 3-way crossover (separate outputs for woofer,
midrange and tweeter).

I'm explaining all this in detail assuming you don't already know about
it. If you do, my apologies. But otherwise, you might want to do some
reading about it.

I'f I *were* to buy some inline mid and high crossovers for each channel, that would
mean that I would have the 4-ohm cabinet speaker and the 16-ohm speaker
on the mid crossover, and the two 4-ohm 3-inch speakers on the high
crossover, so the result would have to be a parallel of the first pair, and
a series of the second pair?

Would a series of the first pair (24-ohm) paralleled with a series of the
second pair (8-ohm) actually work out? (6-ohm for whole circuit)