Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Question about series/parallel speaker setup

On 2/10/2010 11:13 PM Mr.T spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

On 2/10/2010 6:26 PM ShadowTek spake thus:

Assuming that there would be 16 ohms on *both* sides of the parallel
(like I was originally thinking), the power distribution among the four
4-ohms and the one 16-ohm would be the same, right?

4+4+4+4
|______amp

16

Yes; half on each side. You basically have a parallel network, so
current divides evenly between the two sides. (Voltage is equal across
both sides.)

Considering they are speakers with complex impedances rather than resistors,
and considering the 4 ohm and 16 ohm speakers are likely to be different in
frequency Vs impedance, once again it is not that simple. And who knows what
the efficiencies, power rating, and interactions between speaker radiation
patterns are, so the likely acoustic outcome is anyone's guess!
However at least the amp will probably be OK with such a load if that's all
that matters.

Meaningless quibbles from you as usual.

There will be as close to half the power on each side as is matters in
this case. How the speakers handle that power is a complex subject, as
you point out. But there will be half on one side and half on the other.

- a Usenet "apology"