Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Question about series/parallel speaker setup

On 2/10/2010 2:26 PM ShadowTek spake thus:

At my disposal are three 4-ohm speakers and one 16-ohm speakers.
I'm considering wiring the three 4-ohm speakers in series, then
connecting that in parallel to an 16-ohm speaker, which should result
in in overall 8-ohm load.

4-4-4
|_____amp

16

Wrong.

The formula for parallel resistance is:

R1 R2
Rt = --------
R1 + R2

yielding ~6.8 ohms in this case. Close, but no cigar.

Is there any danger with having 1 speaker on one side of the parallel,
while having 3 speakers on the other side?

Nope, although don't expect equal power distribution among the various
speakers. But so far as the amp goes, it doesn't care who is where.

Oh, and be sure to get the speakers connected in phase. You can check
this by connecting a battery to the terminals and watching whether the
cone moves in or out. If they aren't already marked, label the speaker
terminals "+" and "-", then connect them in phase.

- a Usenet "apology"