Arny Krueger

"Tom Jancauskas" wrote in message

in article
,
Mike Rivers at
wrote on 9/6/05 5:48
AM:

Tom Jancauskas wrote:
I proceeded to extract the audio using Samplitude Pro
8.2 CD extractor. I made him a CD and he sat there with
headphones and switched CD's back & forth in the player
& said the copy doesn't sound the same.

If it's a bad enough CD player, you can unload and
re-load the same CD and it will sound different to
someone who really wants to be picky. And if it's a
home-made (CD-R or worse, CD-RW) disk, there's even
greater margin of difference. CDs may be digital, but
they aren't perfect.

Warning: some CD players have subtle problems playing CD-Rs.
It's a very much a hit-or-miss proposition. So much so that
good operation with other than CD players from the post-CDR
period (last 3-5 years) can't be guaranteed.

Unless you can find something clearly wrong with what
you're doing, I think your friend is being too picky.

Or, he's cursed with two CD players that have subtle
problems with CD-Rs.

The CD player I was using was a sony from about 9 or 10
years ago with VERY little use. He says he hears the same
problems on his home system.

It could be psychological or it could be technical.

I agree that CDs may be digital, but they aren't perfect.

At the media level, they are analog.

Geez, you get more loss of quality by making an analog
copy of the CD to another CD than what he is hearing. Go
figure...

Really good analog-analog copies can be made, but it takes
really good equipment.

Thanks all. This seems to be one of those things that
just is. He won't ever be happy and will be looking to
find a difference in ALL of his projects. Lucky me.

The DBT and technical comparison approaches either find
problems or satisfy a certain fairly large percentage of
doubters. But 100% desired results are not guaranteed.

Unfortunately, if the core problem is personal CD players
that have subtle problems with CDRs, neither of the tests I
suggested will be relevant. ;-(